Tuesday, June 23, 2015

What's a Boom-Hunt Road Trip?

UPDATE: Unlikely Merger is NOW available! We will offer
the book FREE on Kindle July 1-July 5, 2015!

Today, we welcome author Marji Laine. Marji's been a regular around WIP since she won our very first chapter contest for The Christmas Tree Treasure Hunt. She created the character of Mercy Lacewell for The Love Boat Bachelor, and developed the plot for Unlikely Merger. She also developed one of the heroes for Mercy, but we can't tell you which one just yet!

Road Trips 
by Marji Laine

I confess: I’m a homebody. I am quite content to stay at home and consider quiet time to write to my heart’s content to be a vacation. However, I’ve taken some memorable vacations!

As I was growing up, we would take two to three-week road trips, dragging our tent camper behind us. We traveled west all the way to Idaho through New Mexico and Colorado and came back to Texas by way of Mt. Rushmore. Another year, we traveled up to Boston and back. I got to enjoy my very first experience with a water slide before water parks even existed!

But my favorite road trips are like the one I just took with my girls and a neighbor. As I was writing this blog, we heard a boom. The girls and I climbed into the van and went on a boom-hunt. Didn’t find anything, but drove around for a half hour laughing, chatting, and searching the skyline for whirling red and blue lights.

Spontaneous trips like that are the most fun to me. We took a trip not long ago to the small towns north of the metroplex just to photograph some unique things. Long horn cattle, strange vehicles, old buildings. We sang, imitated animals, laughed – a lot!

The same happens each year when we take our annual trip southward to the bluebonnet region.
Gorgeous pictures and always fun. Sometimes we even have deep conversations over circumstances, scripture, and future hopes. These trips have strengthened the relationship I have with my kids more than any other activity. I feel so blessed that our homeschooling affords us the opportunity to set out almost anytime we feel like it.

I can tell you, I will treasure these un-extraordinary journeys forever. Maybe because the trip rather than the destination is the best part.

****


Marji Laine is a wife and homeschooling mom with teenage twins left in the nest. Having just released her debut novella Grime Beat, she spends her non-writing time transporting to and from volleyball, directing high school classes at a local coop, and leading the children’s music program at her church. From suburban Dallas, she loves to create scintillating suspense with a side of Texas sassy. She invites readers to unravel their inspiration, seeking a deeper knowledge of the Lord’s Great Mystery that invites us all.


More for the Journey:

Tuesday, June 23


Monday, June 22

Write Integrity Press: Let the Road Trips Begin

Saturday, June 20

Write Integrity Press: Vote for the Hero!

Friday, June 19

Write Integrity Press: Unlikely Merger Chapter Eleven

Thursday, June 18

Write Integrity Press: Unlikely Merger Chapter Ten
Marji Laine: Shake It Up
Carole Towriss: Reuben’s Home Samo

Wednesday, June 17

Write Integrity Press: Unlikely Merger Chapter Nine
Marji Laine:  No Joy in Mudville

No comments: