Friday, July 3, 2015

Summer Recipes Potato Salad and Cucumbers

Unlikely Merger is now available and for a limited time, 

We invited our authors to share some of their favorite summer recipes. Today's recipe comes from Jennifer Hallmark, one of the authors of Unlikely Merger.

My Favorite Summer Recipes
Jennifer Hallmark

When I think of recipes in the summer, I picture fresh vegetables straight from my garden. We usually plant broccoli, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, cabbage, potatoes, beets, corn, green beans, and pink-eyed purple hull peas. Yes, the peas are a southern must-have.

I love to share recipes, so today I’ll post two summer staples: potato salad and cucumber salad. It seems no family reunion or church social is complete without potato salad and some fixin’s of cucumbers.

The cucumber recipe is simple. You simple take 6-8 cucumbers, then peel and slice into a large bowl. Mix one cup of mayonnaise with either 2 tablespoons of vinegar or milk, depending on whether you like the vinegar taste. We prefer milk. Then add about a teaspoon of Morton Nature’s Seasons seasoning blend and whisk until smooth. Pour over cucumbers and chill. Enjoy!

My potato salad recipe is not too hard either. I place around four pounds of potatoes in a large Dutch oven, unpeeled, and boil until tender. I find they have a better consistency if I leave the peel on when boiling. Then I peel, and cut into cubes. I add four boiled eggs, chopped, and ¼ cup chopped onion (if you like onion). From here, I estimate. I’ll start by adding 1 ½ cups of mayonnaise, two tablespoons of prepared mustard, and ¼ cup of relish, either dill or sweet. I go back and forth, depending on whether I want the tang or the sweet. A couple of teaspoons of Nature’s Seasons seasoning blend and maybe a touch of pepper complete the salad. I stir it all up and then taste and add mayo or relish until it’s just right.

Yum! Delicious summer recipes, sure to please.

****

Jennifer Hallmark: writer by nature, artist at heart, and daughter of God by His grace. With over 200 articles and interviews on the internet, her attention has moved to southern fiction and YA fantasy.


Her first book published in early 2014, a multi-authored romantic comedy novella, called A Dozen Apologies. She is currently shopping her YA series, Journey of Grace: Realm of Ecclesia, and a contemporary southern fiction novel, When Wedding and Weather Collide.


She is also part of two compilation projects to be released later this year. Unlikely Merger is a romantic novella, a sequel to A Dozen Apologies. She’s also contributed to the anthology: Not Alone: A Literary and Spiritual Companion for those Confronted with Infertility and Miscarriage.


Jennifer shares a writer’s reference blog, Writing Prompts & Thoughts & Ideas…Oh My! with friends, Betty, Tammy, Allison, Karen, Cari, Holly, Anne, Robin, and Betty B.


Jennifer and her husband, Danny, have spent their married life in Alabama and have a basset hound, Max. Their daughter Mandy is married to Tim, and has given them two beautiful granddaughters, Ava and Sadie. Their son, Jonathan, is currently working in the food industry and trying to complete his degree in business.


She loves to read detective fiction from the Golden Age, watch movies like LOTR, and play with her two precious granddaughters. At times, she writes.


You can find Jennifer on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.


Monday, June 29:
            

Sunday, June 28:


No comments: